Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Document, Documentation, Documentary

What does it mean to document?

Gather around, photographers, it's time for deep thinking. What is it that we are doing when we document? What is a document?

The first image - To document isolates something out of the flow of real-time perceptive experience,  making it more vivid, colorful, subjective, personal, etc, etc. Note - the cow artist's signed name is "Elsie". Her real name??? Hmmm)

Second image:  You can't tell but it is pouring down rain.  Wet laundry hung out in the rain to dry. (Can you imagine my excitement over the symbolic possibilities when I saw this one??? I slammed on brakes, did a U-ie and boldly trespassed to get this image for you.) So to me, this second image speaks to the paradox of documentary work.

Third image - elevation.  The mere act of selecting something for the subject of a photograph elevates it out of it's quotidian meaning.  (quotidian - a new word for me!)  such as when I photograph something so common as a ramp.  Now, suddenly, it is ****symbolic*****

No comments: