Monday, February 11, 2013

Conventional Society Would Not Approve





"Why did I return to and stay involved in a relationship that conventional society would not approve of?"

It feels odd talking about how wonderful these photographs are, like bragging, but I don't feel I find the subject of these images - I feel they find me - I "luck" upon them.  So I can say quite humbly, that I find the first image in this set enthralling.  The mirror's frame is straight out of Jean Cocteau's 1920's silent film, "Beauty and the Beast". And I didn't place the photograph of mother and daughter in the reflection, it was already there when I first looked into the mirror although I did adjust the angle to see them better.  

Here's how I would interpret this - the caller is evaluating this relationship not through her own criteria, but through her mother's criteria.  And since we largely learn our cultural heritage through our mothers, by extension, she is concerned that the relationship does not fit with her cultural traditions.  The third image is about forging your own path into the unknown - the dark woods.  Because of the third image, I'm interested in the fact that you have footprints in the snow next to tire tracks which enforces this idea that we have a conflict between a traditional, older ways vs more contemporary ways.  That is indeed the main subject in the third image - the manual rake that has been supplanted by the bulldozer.

2 comments:

Mettai Cherry said...

Has the manual rake been supplanted by the bulldozer or is it still necessary because the bulldozer is such a brute?

Beth Lilly said...

I'm not sure. I keep looking at how the lines of the dumpster (I was at a land fill) create an "X", dividing the frame into a top and bottom. The rake is in the foreground but on the bottom. The bulldozer is on the top but in the background. It feels meaningful but not sure who. I do like how they are both being used for the same job - spreading gravel.so that would support the idea that both are necessary