Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Where Does My Work Belong?


Where does my work belong in this world?  

I know, I'm wrestling with the same problem.  I have several bodies of work and none of them seem to fit into anyone's gallery, market, exhibition, collection, blog, magazine, or living room.  Maybe it's day after day of rain that's tainting my outlook on things, but I'm with you. Sometimes you get very frustrated of being the one who is not chosen and it brings back bad memories of Couples Skate.  But then again, I may be claiming thoughts and feelings that are not your own - not intended by this question.  And that is one of the things I love about this project.  It is actually intended to be a vehicle into which anyone can project their own problems and issues.  So then I wonder if the pictures can also be addressing me, the viewer, as well as the caller for whom they were originally made?

My thought is that producing art is like having a baby (says woman who never experienced childbirth).  It's going to come out whether you want it to or not and then, there it is.  You're going to just have to deal with it the very best you can.

1 comment:

Mettai Cherry said...

Clearly we should focus on the third image - something is getting ready to sprout from beneath the snow and my bet is that it will be flowers! (Or could we say that just when you think it's gone to the dogs everything's coming up roses?)

Based on finding someone who collects images of women with guns, I'd say it just means getting it out there so the collectors can see it! That's not always easy, of course. Nor does it pay the rent.